Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy Belated New Year and #1-5 in the 30 in 30




 Winter Birches 8x10 In Progress #5 of 30

Spring Forest 8x10 In Progress #4 of 30
 Fall Forest #3 of 30 SOLD
Spring Trees #2 of 30 5x7 available


Frozen Forest #1 of 30 4x6 Available

Well, I knew I would be a bit behind sharing my start to this year's 30 in 30 challenge, but I certainly didn't think I'd be almost a week into the New Year before my first post.  Good thing I planned ahead in creating some artwork in the last week or two before the end of the year, as past experience has shown that it's best to get a few paintings done before the challenge even begins! 

I've had lots of year end activities and visitors (still have kiddos home, and was very excited and surprised that my middle son Jared was able to come home from the Navy for a week after the New Year!) 

The weather has not cooperated much in terms of getting back going with oil painting yet, mostly due to the supplies I ordered in late December being delayed by the recent storms, and now the bitter cold.  Expected delivery date was moved up to Jan 6, but since the temperature is going to be -17 with piles of snow that is drifting into huge piles, I won't hold my breath.  Besides, since my studio is in the barn (even though heated), temps that low make it difficult to paint.  I am expecting to be painting by the end of the week though as I have many commissions and promises to keep!  If you are one of them, stay tuned!

In the meantime, my temporary studio has been in the basement, which is great for keeping up with the laundry ;) and I've been working on glass painting and experimenting with techniques I began playing with over 6 years ago.  I have used enamel with glass fusing since I first started fusing, but this past summer was introduced to some different techniques by a jeweler who uses enamel on her silver jewelery.  I haven't had any time since the crush of the summer shows and then the gallery that was opened through December, but I am excited to try to use my painting skills with my glass skills.  I'm sure my initial attempts will be "interesting" but what I love about the 30 in 30 challenge is the ability to just experiment and share and get feedback from others.  

I've been experimenting with my favorite subject matter, Birch Trees, using a combination of powdered glass as well as enamel, among other things.  When I went to Portland last May, I had the privelage of going to the Oregon coast and visiting a town that had lots of impressive galleries.  One of them had artwork by a regional glass artist whose work I admired and I am just now getting around to really exploring her work.  I hope to visit sometime soon for a workshop as her techniques are very fascinating and complex.  In the coming weeks I hope to explore some of these techniques in between oil painting.  The great thing about being both an oil painter and glass artist is that I have something to keep me occupied while impatiently waiting for the kiln to cool!  Stay tuned for day 6 and 7 as the glass is in the kiln as I type!

2 comments:

  1. Was wondering where you were, Kristen. These glass pieces knock my socks off!! Can't wait to see what comes out of your kiln. And Portland? Did I read you might be coming out to Portland? Oh, happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you doing the 30 in 30 an coming out so strong!!! These are/going to be gorgeous

    ReplyDelete