Thursday, December 29, 2011

I'm Back!



6x6 oil on panel click here to bid


I can't believe it's only been 2 weeks since the workshop, it seems like months ago. I haven't painted since I returned although I was aching to go into my studio and lock the door and paint and just ignore all the holiday commotion. But then I read a post by fellow artist Raymond Logan, who takes time off from painting during the holidays, and doesn't feel a bit bad about it. Artists need vacations too, and since the holidays are the only time when all my almost grown up kids are together, I think I will make it a yearly tradition and shut the studio door until the festivities are over. Less stress that way. I spent the better part of today cleaning my studio and trying to make some semblence of organization. When I was about 90 percent done, I couldn't take it anymore, the unfinished rubber ducky painting was shouting at me to be finished. Here it is in all its glory, It was only half done at the workshop, and I knew it would be tough to pick up where I left off, but it's the one thing I wanted complete from my time there. The cup originally had a handle that I just couldn't figure out, so I just eliminated it all together. tee hee. When I set up this composition, I just loved the way it looked like the mama duck was coming in from the side to chastise her baby for his little antics....the photo is a bit washed out since I used my phone, it's a terrible habit I need to quickly break.....

4 comments:

  1. This one is adorable ... really just the cutest thing. The blues and yellow make it just POP.
    I think its hard not to feel guilt about not painting when your really want to ... even if it is the 'busiest time of the year'.
    Best wishes for the new year ........

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are back but I enjoyed seeing your workshop adventures also! Looks like you had a great time.

    I love the bright colors and fun composition in this one. I love paintings that can evoke emotion and this one certainly does. so fun!

    It is a great way to jumpstart the new year (a little early)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did it Kristen! Great job picking this up were you left off and still has the fresh look. Who needs a handle anyway? The composition is awesome and the colors look fabu!!! Good thing you listened to the duck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed reading your post about the holidays. I have painted very little since before Thanksgiving and feeling guilty about it. But I have loved the family time, so your post really resonated with me.

    Loved your posts about Carol Marine's workshop. I've been signed up for her San Antonio one for two years and am really looking forward to that in January. Hope it gets me jump started for the year.

    ReplyDelete