Friday, April 29, 2011

Little Birds and Little Bets.....


So I read this article by Robert Genn on facebook the other day called Little Bets (click here to read http://clicks.robertgenn.com/little-bets.php) The long and short of it is that it's better to get lots of experience making little mistakes along the way, then wasting a lot of time on one big one....This is perfect for daily painters, it takes the stress out of painting....However, when I started painting I didn't anticipate exhibiting and I was painting on inexpensive supports that cost more to frame than the painting is worth.....alas, what to do now? I don't like the stress of painting on expensive supports, it cramps my style....Anyway, I found a friend on Facebook who is allowing me to use many of his photos for reference to paint....I would like to start a project of 100 paintings from his "library" from Barbados. It's a place I've never been but looks incredible, and one of the points in the article was to choose a topic or subject matter that you are interested in, will not tire of....I think If it was something like flowers, or animals, or something else, I might get bored....I don't know...anyway, it gives me goal, so here is painting number 1 from Barbados John's album....a wee little bird in the surf.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea, Kristen! I love your energy and enthusiasm! This bird is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to thank you for sharing this link! Also, have you painted on masonite? Its fairly inexpensive. You can buy a large sheet at a lumber supply store, and have it cut to your specifications.

    ReplyDelete