Friday, February 10, 2012

Comedy of Errors and Acts of Desperation

After
6x6 oil on panel click HERE to bid

 Before



Some days just refuse to go as planned no matter how you slice it.  The other day my eye glasses were inadvertantly stepped on and smashed by those that shall remain unnamed since he is very sorry and apologetic about it, and well, the logical question would be why are they on the floor in the first place, but that's neither here nor there.   This morning, I went to replace the glasses only to find out that my prescription had expired.  Frustrated beyond words, I questioned why after decades of prescriptions that last 2 years each, why this last one would only be good for a year.  The kind lady gently reminded me that I am now over 40, and so it goes......With no appointments available until Monday, I took my ridiculously glued, melted, and taped glasses and stomped away.  (yes, melted, because at one point during the repair process I thought if I just melted the plastic frame they could meld back together.  Word of warning: Plastic is highly flammable!) 

Having had a late and frustrating start in the studio, I put it out of my head, excited at the prospect of starting my painting for the White on White challenge for this weeks DPW challenge.  I've admired the paintings of other artists that can paint values and shades of white like it's their full time job.  Today was my day, and I was ready.  I had already sketched out my panel the day before, having spent hours on various set ups, and it was just waiting for me to start putting paint to panel.  Then I noticed I had misplaced my wallet, last used at Meijers the day before.  I scoured every possible nook and cranny in the house, the car, called the store, retraced my steps, still no wallet.   Realizing my continued search was futile, I vowed to make something good out of the day and headed out to the studio.  yeah, i'm sure you all know how the rest of the story goes.

Needless to say, it's hard enough to paint without prescription eyeglasses, let alone with the despair of your lost wallet.  Why I tried is beyond me, but still I forged ahead.   After about an hour of laying paint atop of muddy paint, only making it muddier, I stomped off in disgust.   Looked around for the wallet again, sighed, went back to the studio, and in an act of sheer desperation, decided to give the paining just a few more swipes of the brush.   Rarely does this ever work, but this one of those one times that I saw just a glimmer of hope and decided to just leave it for now.  It likely will all be wiped off in the morning to just start fresh, but it was one of those times that you just wanted to end the rotten day off on a good note, and this was one of them.  Although I don't have a complete painting, I realized where I went wrong, so when I start over tomorrow, I get to start off in the right place.  TGIF.



(Top painting, added the next day, is the corrected version of my painting, hooray, what a difference a day makes!)

5 comments:

  1. I see the glimmer, too! And I think you'll like this painting better tomorrow. You are very wise to walk away and give yourself a little space. It is something that I have great difficulty doing, and I have killed way too many little canvases. I am sending good thoughts your way, Kristen! Tomorrow will be a better day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about day(s) you have been having! I sure do hope you find your wallet, and get a pair of cheap readers for spares. I panic when I don't have my glasses, but loosing your wallet is way worst. Still I think you did redeem yourself, it speaks to how far you come in painting this style!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both variants anyway)
    Was it a good experience to paint without clear vision?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! and WuXing, yes I did find it a good experience to paint without clear vision as it helps to see value, but it's frustrating not to see everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing what you think is a disaster! good to know that I'm not the only one!! love your paintings!

    ReplyDelete