Wednesday, January 11, 2012

An Apple a Day..well, you know the rest.

6x6 oil on panel, SOLD


In the case of my friend who came to paint with me today, I hope the tale about apples a day is true! I feel so spoiled, two days in a row with people who want to paint with me! Today's visitor was Scott Lightfoot. We've been friends since we both worked at Toledo School for the Arts 5 years ago. My classroom was next to his office and he always had hot coffee and a shoulder to cry on when I had a rotten day. (Those of you that have followed my blog for awhile know that he has been fighting colon cancer for a year now....he recently had surgery to attempt to remove tumors that had spread to his liver and lung, but they were more involved than initially hoped, so it's back the the chemo for him. The prognosis is not great, 30 percent chance of living 5 years, but Scott has the best attitude I've ever seen for someone faced with the news he has, and best of all, he's decided to fight it by creating art everyday. He started a blog about his daily quest to survive and how he hopes art will help him with his healing process....Stop on over to visit his blog if you wish, you won't be sorry! If you know someone dealing with cancer, please share, he is very open and honest about his experiences)

Today, I pretty much repeated what I did with Erika, but instead of a pear, we painted apples....you know, to keep the doctor away. He did great! I hope to get back to my spoons and eggs tomorrow, but for now, the pears and apples were a much needed break!

8 comments:

  1. Maybe I am blind but I didn't see a link to his blog? Love the apple and so glad you had company two days in a row! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria, I corrected it...I've been having probs posting my blog thru networked blog and fbook so I tried changing things...here is his blog http://survivalthroughart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful paintings. I really like your work. Very painterly!
    Happy Painting,
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is so very inspiring! You are a good friend. It sure does put things into perspective. Scott seems like an amazing person!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, he certainly is! Makes me feel lucky every day I get out of bed and am healthy. also, makes me never want to complain about what I "don't" have.....

      Delete
  5. Kristen what a beautiful post. You wrote so serenely about this, no screaming about injustice or whatever...I wish all the best for Scott. And of course I love your apple, the red and blue are fabulous together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I suppose a tantrum might feel good, but it would do good, so I am just happy that there is something I can do for him. Often, people don't know what to say or do for friends in this situation, but he has made it easy...just help him leave a legacy.

      Delete