Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Back in the Swing

6x6 oil on panel click here to bid






It's nice to be back in the swing of things, I stressed the whole time over holidays that I was "missing" something in the studio and I'd lose everything I learned at the workshop. As I'm sure is the case for lots of folks that take workshops, you'll start to see an eery similiarity to style and composition to that of the workshop artist.....(I'm not naming names because I know you all know!!!) I am actually ok with this, because I would like to try the things she taught me until I've "mastered" them. Once I do that, I will continue to explore and tweak my own style and path.....





Something I've started doing before I start a painting: I choose what I see as either the most challenging part of my compostion or the focal point and do one quick 10 minute study of it. It helps me get the colors right and also if I hate it, I don't have to waste time on an entire composition of it. The other "page" i've torn from the "carol marine book of art" is to do more than one variation of the subject...I am finding that each one gets a bit easier and better.

6 comments:

  1. Love this and your last post really inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long on average do you spend on each daily painting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jerry! And Erika-This particular one took about 1.5-2 hours from white canvas (actually I use ampersand or masonite panels, not canvas) to finished painting. That's pretty typical, but some go a bit quicker....If I don't have time I just do some ten minute studies on a board I have divided into 3x3 sections

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this painting , very good transparence and the bright orange is so beautiful!
    And I agree with you on students starting to paint like their teacher, I know some too..... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabu glass! Great job on all those great little touches on the rim and its base. Great pops of orange to show the light. Is that orange chunk painted on the back side of a board Kristen???

    ReplyDelete