Saturday, January 14, 2012

Coming Home

6x6 oil on panel NFS

Jason went home under the care of hospice today. While I've never met him, his wife Michaele was my college roommate 20 something years ago. She was the mother hen of our little group, always making sure we were doing our homework and not partying too hard. She took me home for Thanksgiving once, as I didn't have the plane fare to go home. She has a heart of gold, and from what I understand, Jason is her perfect complement. They have two little boys, Joel and Jacob. Please keep them in your prayers that Jason makes his transition to a better place in the best way possible for his family. I saw this photo of him on Michaele's facebook page, I'm not sure if it was taken before he got sick, but it's as if he knows where he's going, and he looks at peace with it.



(side note: added at 10:07 pm 1/14/2012) I wrote the aformentioned post rather stoicly because I had a hard time seeing through the tears....I've watched the "online" journey of the Bishop family over the course of the year and it has moved me tremendously. When I read Michaele's post yesterday as I woke up and did my morning routine of checking my iphone for current updates, I was at a loss for what to do. I haven't seen Michaele in 20 years, yet her impact on my my life back in college meant a lot, but I never told her so. Why or what could she possibly need from a fair-weather friend like me? After struggling for more than 24 hours with "what can I do", I did what I know best, and that is paint, for her and the boys....This one's for you Michaele & Jason!

13 comments:

  1. She will love it and know that it came from your heart. Just tell her what she ment and how you feel. She may need that validation, maybe today maybe not, but she will need support no matter how long it has been. Your painting is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gloria and you are right, she loves it. I'll be bringing it to her soon.

      Delete
  2. I've never really been scared of death itself. I consider it to be nothing more than stepping through a door to the next part of the adventure. The manner in which I pass concerns me a little, but not death itself. I pray for strength to pervade the hearts and souls of your friend and their sons as he moves on. He's just scouting ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. I like the idea that he is just scouting ahead for his family, perhaps that will give them better peace of mind.

      Delete
  3. Now you have ME crying! I've never met you or seen your work, but this is truly amazing. What a gift. Michaele DOES take care of everyone around her. Her huge heart makes such a difference to so many people, and Jason is the same. They have, and will continue to, make the world a better place. --Jen Schwanke, friend of the Bishops

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for doing this for Michaele and the boys. I'm sure it will give them great comfort. The Bishop's are an inspiration. I love them all so much.

    Nan Kleinholz

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful expression of caring for a friend in a time of need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful moving story and your gift of the painting to them is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristen your beautiful painting is an amazing tribute to this courageous man and family as they ultimately face his New Beginning. I pray that they will be bouyed by friendships like yours, and that they will all have the strength to enjoy as much as they can, the moments they still have together. I can see how deeply you are moved by their circumstances and laud your ability to "pull yourself together" to create this mini-masterpiece. This painting says so much. His yellow cap is simply adorable and his gesture and expression are uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family and I are so sorry to hear the news about Jason. He and my son Mike were best friends in school and played basketball together. He was also my youngest son's basketball coach when he was in 9th grade. Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with him and his family at this time.

    Maxine Shroyer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May you all feel the presence of the Lord during this time...

      Delete
  9. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I have known Jason ever since grade school back in the early 80s. Jason has always been a great friend to me and always knew how to cheer me up. I will continue to pray for you and your family.

    Steve Price
    Kenton Ridge High School
    Class of 1990

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for your kind words, Jason passed away at home this morning. Please pray for his wife and two little boys as they adjust to life without their beloved husband and father.

    ReplyDelete