Saturday, January 7, 2012

Phew!

6x6 Oil on Panel
SOLD






This was a tough one! If I wasn't in a bet to get 30 paintings in 30 days done, I would have walked away and tried something new tomorrow, but I got halfway into it and didn't have time to start over. This was a tough composition for a 6x6 (at least for me!) so, not to be outdone by Ruth Ann's blog post about her viewfinder invention, I added a little help to my viewfinder too. I like to divide my canvas into thirds before I draw, but it's sometimes hard to view my still life set up that way. So I took a piece of plastic and taped it to my viewfinder and drew lines with sharpie on it. Voila! I find it so much easier to draw this way. This painting is for one of the older DPW challenges that I hadn't done yet, "Paint what you paint with"....

9 comments:

  1. This is awesome!! The great light areas and paint splotches on the metal can and paint brushes! This is about the way you worked the light, not the colors. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very adventurous!
    You are brave. I love the paint brushes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I like the juicy paint application. The 30 day bet sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely done. I like it. Should be interesting to see whether you or Ruth blinks first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the painting and love the tip. I have never used a viewfinder but think I will make one to use! Also love the challenge...can't wait to see what you post tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, and generous of you to share your gridding appliance! My students have glued thread, but you're right, you can have a bunch of these clear plastic 'gridding plates' to put on a 5x7 template, or 6x8, etc.! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great painting and fabulous tip on the viewfinder!! Going to borrow that= thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent painting Kristen! You beat the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the grid idea ... now if I could only get someone to hold the darn thing for me while I paint ... Do you find that an issue also?

    ReplyDelete